Mercedes-Benz Adelaide - Company Information
A 60 year love affair with Mercedes-Benz.
The origins of Mercedes-Benz Adelaide goes back to 1950, when the company was known as British Engineering Appliances. At the time, the company held the franchise for the now long disappeared Jowett range of cars, as well as Mercedes-Benz and subsequently, Renault and DKW.
The first Mercedes-Benz to appear in South Australia was the 170V, a pre-war design running with a diesel engine.
By 1953 the need was seen for a name change to reflect more accurately the business identity of the company, hence the name B.E.A. Distributors Limited representing "British European & American" Manufacturers was adopted and which was later abbreviated to simply B.E.A. Motors Pty. Ltd.
In September 1954, the all-new 220A model was released at the Frankfurt Motor Show in Germany and the company took what was a big plunge by ordering 50 units for delivery to Adelaide. This was a tremendous sales target for the then new Managing Director, Arthur Carolan, but the class of the 220 series was apparent and the first 50 cars were soon with satisfied owners.
With the growth of the company and the ever expanding range of Mercedes-Benz cars, BEA Motors moved to elegant new premises in Flinders Street in 1960, remembered by many for the grand marble and chandeliers in the showroom. The elegant ambience of the showroom was until recently still appreciated by the public as part of a coffee shop, but now a high rise office building is in its place.
Flinders Street was the home of Mercedes-Benz in Adelaide for 31 years until an opportunity arose to move into the more spacious premises at 191 Gouger Street in September 1991.
Further expansion resulted in the company moving in September 2006 from the city into the new BEA Motors Mercedes-Benz Autohaus at 20 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Mile End.
On the 1st of July 2010 BEA Motors acquired Adelaide’s second Mercedes-Benz dealership “Chateau Moteur” and incorporated this business into their expansive Mile End premises.
After over sixty years – Australia’s oldest Mercedes-Benz dealer ceased trading as “BEA Motors Pty. Ltd.” and launched into the future trading as “Mercedes-Benz Adelaide”
The new name symbolises a significant commitment to Mercedes-Benz and its product range well into the future in Adelaide.